Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Time to give Trump Presidency it's own Thread.Follow

#1352 May 30 2018 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
gbaji wrote:
making a comment that if you squinted just right could be made out to be racially offensive.
You have to stretch to find calling a black person an ape is racially offensive?

The only actor that was leaving the show was Wanda Sykes, and she was leaving because of the tweet so no, Roseanne didn't post it to "burn it all to the ground because of mass exodus from the show's wildly successful return."

Edited, May 30th 2018 9:46am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1353 May 30 2018 at 7:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Gbaji: See, this wasn't racism but rather Roseanne was using a deep meta-context that True Conservatives would understand to make meaningful commentary about the societal rules in today's politically correct Obama-driven Deep State ideology. I totally understood the reference though because I get it. Completely.

Roseanne: I was fucked up on Ambien.

Edited, May 30th 2018 8:44am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1354 May 30 2018 at 8:29 AM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,674 posts
Besides, the caste system in the Apes movies was based on skin/fur color and race anyway so even trying to suggest that somehow the tweet was about that and not race still doesn't move the arrow in the other direction.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1355 May 30 2018 at 9:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
Oh, now you are slinging "arrows", making fun of my Native American culture, real nice, lolgaxe!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1356 May 30 2018 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,674 posts
I try. Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1357 May 30 2018 at 9:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
Forget arrows, this whole thread is racist against spears. 55 pages and no mention of them at all. Says a lot when that kind of thing happens.

Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#1358 May 30 2018 at 10:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
Also, because we're not following twitter here...

Jophiel wrote:
Roseanne: I was fucked up on Ambien.


Sanfoni (Ambian producer) wrote:
People of all races, religions and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world. While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.

____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#1359 May 30 2018 at 10:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,305 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Also, because we're not following twitter here...

Jophiel wrote:
Roseanne: I was fucked up on Ambien.


Sanfoni (Ambian producer) wrote:
People of all races, religions and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world. While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.



"known" - way to hedge guys ^^

I also watched some news channel showing chick black Samuel raped with his comments. Yes, this **** is getting crazy.

CNN had a dude on saying even if you are not racist your participation in racist structure of these united states makes you racist anyway.

Howzabout I just wear 'so sorry' sign around my neck just in case?
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
#1360 May 30 2018 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
angrymnk wrote:
Howzabout I just wear 'so sorry' sign around my neck just in case?
An apology without reparations being made just enables institutional racism. First give all your money to minorities; then maybe we can talk.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#1361 May 30 2018 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
gbaji wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
And where is gbaji, jumping to her defense, you ask? And 3, 2...GO!
There's nothing racist about refering to the Muslim Brotherhood. And i think its' important to know which Plant of the Apes movie was being referred to. If its Charlton Heston's movies, then maybe she was just saying VJ's face was hairy...


Or, maybe, she was referring to the social structure in the film, which was very much racially aligned, and had a strong caste system, and in which adherence to dogma about the "truth" of the world was so strongly enforced that those who might provide evidence to challenge it were literally killed or lobotomized to keep the masses from questioning said dogma, and even those with scientific knowledge that refuted said dogma participated in the deception so as not to rock the social boat.


Except this isn't even the first time she compared a black person to an ape on Twitter. Susan Rice was who she did it to first, in 2013, and she apologized for it then, but clearly didn't learn a lesson.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1362 May 30 2018 at 4:43 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I don't think it's stupid at all. If she had used any other example of a popularly known film/book highlighting a distopian/authoritarian future in her tweet, would you have failed to get that it was about the screwed up social structure and that she was talking about VJ's political ideology (and comparing the two)?
Right. Like if I write a tweet saying "if Wall Street and Downfall had a baby=Trump" and you screamed I was saying he's a Nazi I get to claim that I just meant he's for a strong military?


A. My response would be to assume you were comparing Trumps behavior to that of Hitler's during the last days of the fall of Berlin (delusional, irrational, paranoid, etc). Not that he actually was Hitler, or was a Nazi. I know that many on this forum don't get that analogy isn't equality, but I do.

B. You'd be wrong to assess that it was about being for a strong military. Since, you know, that's not at all what the film is about.


It's funny because you are projecting your own interpretations of things on me. I don't think that way. I see an analogy as just that: An analogy. When someone says "thing A is like thing B", I get that there's some common feature of the two that one is talking about. I'll note that nowhere in the film you mentioned are deathcamps, anti-semitic opinions, etc, made a key point of the film. So saying that someone is like the things in the film, for me anyway, would be saying that that person is exhibiting behavior that's actually in the film.

I'd also assume you were comparing Trump's economic outlook to Gekko's as well. Same deal.

Edited, May 30th 2018 4:01pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1363 May 30 2018 at 5:08 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
making a comment that if you squinted just right could be made out to be racially offensive.
You have to stretch to find calling a black person an ape is racially offensive?


She didn't call anyone an ape. In the exactly same way that if you were to say that someone was the child of Brave New World, I would never assume you meant that person had been genetically modified (well, something similar) and given a job based on their designed physiology. I'd assume you were referring to their social ideology and how it compared to that of the book.

That you immediately leap to "OMG! She's calling her an ape!" is your own warped way of looking at things. Silly me, I got the reference to the fact that the story is about a distopian future. What kinds of animals are running things is completely irrelevant to the story. It could just as easily have been "Planet of the Wombats", and the exact same themes work within it.

Remember when I said that this is missing the forest for the trees? You're so obsessed with finding a racial connotation in everything, that you're missing the actual point.

Edited, May 30th 2018 4:38pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1364 May 30 2018 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Besides, the caste system in the Apes movies was based on skin/fur color and race anyway so even trying to suggest that somehow the tweet was about that and not race still doesn't move the arrow in the other direction.


Uh. Yeah. See how that might correlate to someone viewed as being race obsessed and judging people based on the color of their skin?

That's the freaking point. I happen to think that Animal Farm might have been a better choice, but the point here is that the sort of ideology that VJ espouses is chock full of "let's assess everyone within the context of what race, gender, orientation, immigration status, etc that they fall into". It's about creating different rules for each of those groups, based on their "needs". Furthermore, it's about creating an increasingly authoritarian government which enforces those rules so as to "make society better".

This is how conservatives view the far left, their ideologies, and the direction they'll take us over time. So yeah, that analogy is apt. It's only a poor choice because Roseanne should have known that the response would not be the analogy to the ideology, but exactly the sort of "OMG! She's comparing VJ to an ape" that she got. But that's a failing in her realizing how absurdly race focused the left has become, not any failing in the analogy itself.

How many years have I been making the argument that it is liberal social movements that are more likely to lead us to such distopian sorts of futures, not conservative ones? You think I've just been making this up? You're free to disagree, but you can't today sit here and pretend that this isn't an already existing opinion held by many conservatives, including myself.

You don't understand how conservatives think. You're the ones who immediately go to race. Not us. You might just want to examine why that is.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1365 May 30 2018 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Forget arrows, this whole thread is racist against spears. 55 pages and no mention of them at all. Says a lot when that kind of thing happens.


Leave Britney alone!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1366 May 30 2018 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,178 posts
Gbaji wrote:
But that's a failing in her realizing how absurdly race focused the left has become, not any failing in the analogy itself.

If only there weren't a history of racially calling black people apes, then you might have a point.

You do realize that both sides can be wrong? Just because the left overly attach race to everything, doesn't mean the right doesn't often say or do, at a minimum, racially ignorant things.

Edited, May 31st 2018 1:42am by Almalieque
#1367 May 30 2018 at 5:43 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Except this isn't even the first time she compared a black person to an ape on Twitter. Susan Rice was who she did it to first, in 2013, and she apologized for it then, but clearly didn't learn a lesson.


She said that Rice was "a man with ape balls". If you were offended by this due to a racial connotation and not like 5 other things first, then I'm not sure what to say.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1368 May 30 2018 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Gbaji wrote:
But that's a failing in her realizing how absurdly race focused the left has become, not any failing in the analogy itself.

If only there weren't a history of racially calling black people apes, then you might have a point.

You do realize that both sides can be wrong? Just because the left overly attach race to everything, doesn't mean the right doesn't often say or do, at a minimum, racially ignorant things.


I do realize this. I said so in this thread, about Roseanne's comments. She should have been aware, in this PC obsessed society, that her words would automatically and entirely be interpreted in a racial context, and thus not said what she said.

This does not change the fact, however, that conservatives do see parallels between distopian films like Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm, Gattica, and yes... Planet of the Apes, and the sorts of social ideology that the far left espouses. We do view those sorts of stories as cautionary tales of the sorts of dangers which can result with too much social engineering, even when done with the best of intentions. And when we compare someone to one of these films, we are actually making that social ideology comparison and expressing that caution.

Obviously, I can't discount the possibility that Roseanne is just a horrible racist (seems like this is a theme here), and views black people as subhuman primates, and can't help but call them monkey, ape, whatever. It's possible. I can't read the woman's mind (and wouldn't want to if I could). And yes, I said that right at the freaking beginning of all of this.

Can you realize the same thing? That there can be multiple interpretations of something? And that they're not always 100% true or false? I'm not insisting that my interpretation is the one and only valid one for what Roseanne meant. I am, however, responding to a whole bunch of other people who are doing exactly that, and pointing out that this isn't the only interpretation and maybe it's wrong to just assume that one must be the 100% truth.

See how that works?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1369 May 30 2018 at 5:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Barr said that she shouldn't have made a jab at Jarrett regarding her looks. This desperate spinning to say "She really, uh, was talking about, you know, the social caste hierarchies in dystopian films! Not apes at all!" is a noble attempt to eat whatever conservative shit is served on that day's platter and circle the wagons above all else but, you know, not even Barr is on board with it. Stop embarrassing yourself.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1370 May 30 2018 at 5:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Also, for heaven's sake, it's "dystopian" with a "y". If you're going to humiliate yourself over and over with this train of thought, at least spell the word correctly.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1371 May 30 2018 at 6:25 PM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,178 posts
Gbaji wrote:
I do realize this. I said so in this thread, about Roseanne's comments. She should have been aware, in this PC obsessed society, that her words would automatically and entirely be interpreted in a racial context, and thus not said what she said.
Obviously you don't. You say that you do, but in your very explanation, you are blaming the "PC obsessed society" as opposed to simply saying that what she said was blatantly wrong, period, full stop.

Gbaji wrote:
See how that works?


Almalieque previously wrote:
If only there weren't a history of racially calling black people apes, then you might have a point.
#1372 May 30 2018 at 8:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
gbaji wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Except this isn't even the first time she compared a black person to an ape on Twitter. Susan Rice was who she did it to first, in 2013, and she apologized for it then, but clearly didn't learn a lesson.


She said that Rice was "a man with ape balls". If you were offended by this due to a racial connotation and not like 5 other things first, then I'm not sure what to say.


You can be offended by multiple things AT THE SAME TIME GASP
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1373 May 30 2018 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
21,004 posts
I don't really care about twitter ********* but I didn't care for the original show and I don't care for cash-in reboots, so this is like a double gift for me.
#1374 May 30 2018 at 11:36 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,612 posts
angrymnk wrote:
Howzabout I just wear 'so sorry' sign around my neck just in case?
Make sure to complete the ensemble with our re-released "NO HOMO" shower shorts. Just $8.99 on Amazon!
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

#1375 May 30 2018 at 11:38 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,612 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
You can be offended by multiple things AT THE SAME TIME GASP
And he is.

All the time.

For all the wrong reasons.
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

#1376 May 30 2018 at 11:57 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,612 posts
gbaji wrote:
Obviously, I can't discount the possibility that Roseanne is just a horrible racist (seems like this is a theme here), and views black people as subhuman primates, and can't help but call them monkey, ape, whatever. It's possible. I can't read the woman's mind (and wouldn't want to if I could). And yes, I said that right at the freaking beginning of all of this.

Can you realize the same thing? That there can be multiple interpretations of something? And that they're not always 100% true or false? I'm not insisting that my interpretation is the one and only valid one for what Roseanne meant.
If you had consistently responded - for the last decade and a half - to political/social/racial discussions on this board with even a remotely close approximation of the candor shown in the above paragraphs, you might be taken halfway seriously at this point. But you haven't, so we don't. That's on you.
gbaji wrote:
I am, however, responding to a whole bunch of other people who are doing exactly that, and pointing out that this isn't the only interpretation and maybe it's wrong to just assume that one must be the 100% truth.
All truth is 100%. Everything else is conjecture, lies or foolishness. If one is forced to guess about an event, Occams razor tells us that the most obvious answer is statistically the right one.

So, yeah; if someone uses language that has been considered racist for a few centuries, "guessing" that the comment is, in fact, racist is most likely the right answer.

I'm truly sorry for you. You've spent so much of your life bonding to a political ideology that includes clear and consistent racist overtones that you must defend it (despite the racism you're "blind" to) because you've invested to much of who you are into it and fear to change because it would destroy the *perfect* self-image you've made for yourself.

River Tam wrote:
A sad little man, on a sad little hill.


Edited, May 31st 2018 12:06am by Bijou
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 76 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (76)