Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Omnibus Politics Thread: Campaign 2016 EditionFollow

#3052 Jun 02 2017 at 6:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,462 posts
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3053 Jun 02 2017 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,445 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.


Fake news.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#3054 Jun 05 2017 at 9:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,436 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.
I like how it starts off talking about how there's no correlation, and then determines we should do something because of that. Smiley: rolleyes

Would have been nice if they just ended it after the first paragraph and said "look this whole thing doesn't really matter much either way, so why we find something else to bicker over?" Probably would come off as a bit of a downer though.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3055 Jun 05 2017 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,462 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.
I like how it starts off talking about how there's no correlation...


No correlation to job cuts.

the article ACTUALLY wrote:
78 years of minimum-wage hikes have produced zero evidence of the "job-killing" consequences these headline writers want us to fear


Edited, Jun 5th 2017 12:58pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3056 Jun 05 2017 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,936 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.
I like how it starts off talking about how there's no correlation...


No correlation to job cuts.

the article ACTUALLY wrote:
78 years of minimum-wage hikes have produced zero evidence of the "job-killing" consequences these headline writers want us to fear


Edited, Jun 5th 2017 12:58pm by stupidmonkey


Na, that's the line he has issue with, cause it goes on to explain that 8 of the 24 raises hurt the economy, but those don't really count for various reasons. And 16 of the 24 had higher employment after 12 months or something like that (paraphrasing from my phone).

So, you can see how he felt that the headlined conclusion of the article was a bit much, given the data they later explain?

____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3057 Jun 05 2017 at 2:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,436 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Link

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it is a study of the effects of raising minimum wage on employment / unemployment since the first one in 1938. Over at Business Insider.
I like how it starts off talking about how there's no correlation...


No correlation to job cuts.

the article ACTUALLY wrote:
78 years of minimum-wage hikes have produced zero evidence of the "job-killing" consequences these headline writers want us to fear


Edited, Jun 5th 2017 12:58pm by stupidmonkey
Right, but they didn't really do a good job of supporting the arguments they were using for upping the minimum wage either, which is where the Smiley: rolleyes comes in. It's a false dichotomy. Basically evidence (and decent evidence, don't mean to discount it) that the opposing side's argument is wrong, followed by poorly supported arguments about why their side is right.

Just a couple examples of poor arguments:

Quote:
Wow. If the US economy were 9% bigger than it is today, it would have created about 11 million additional jobs. Imagine how great that would be for both American workers and businesses.
That argument is not supported in the article.

Quote:
No, their core claim is that the minimum wage always hurts the whole economy — that it will always reduce growth— that it is always a sure-fire "job-killer."
Obvious strawman.

Not to say those are necessarily wrong, just that when they transition from addressing 'no correlation to job-killing' to 'let's raise the minimum wage' the evidence grows sparse.

Edited, Jun 5th 2017 1:18pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3058 Jun 05 2017 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,462 posts
I hate people that make reasonable, well-thought out and researched opinions that make me look uninformed! Smiley: lol


Is this what Gbaji feels like all the time?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3059 Jun 05 2017 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Is this what Gbaji feels like all the time?

I think you have him beat in self-awareness.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3060 Jun 05 2017 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,462 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Is this what Gbaji feels like all the time?

I think you have him beat in self-awareness.

Have we done this before? This feels familiar.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3061 Jun 06 2017 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
******
49,900 posts
Depends whether or not you plan on remembering this talking point but forgetting everything else.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3062 Jun 06 2017 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,436 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
I hate people that make reasonable, well-thought out and researched opinions that make me look uninformed! Smiley: lol
Me too. Which is why I'm assuming we don't see more well thought out articles in press. No one likes preachy academics, and everyone loves a good witch hunt. In fact, I've already sharpened my pitchfork. Smiley: wink
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3063 Jun 06 2017 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,462 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Depends whether or not you plan on remembering this talking point but forgetting everything else.


Look, I will remember this, like I remember everything else.

I went to the zoo once, and saw the elephants, so I literally remember everything.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3064 Jun 07 2017 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,462 posts


She doesn't support a livable wage, she supports job creation.

So, if I understand correctly, lot's of ****** paying jobs you can work while you starve to death.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3065 Jun 07 2017 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,445 posts
To be fair, she's still pretending to care about small business, wherever that's even still a thing-- because god forbid Mom & Pop have to pay their own grand kids enough to move out of the basement.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#3066 Jun 08 2017 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The Republican dominated Kansas state legislature has voted to overturn Governor Brownback's tax cuts, citing large shortfalls in the state budget, damage to state services like education, road repairs & pension payments, and a failure to stimulate the economy or create jobs.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3067 Jun 08 2017 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
******
49,900 posts
In Brownback's defense, who could have possibly seen that you'd need money to pay for things?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3068 Jun 13 2017 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,436 posts
Slave labor is making a strong comeback. Probably worth looking into if you're building a wall anyway.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3069 Jun 13 2017 at 8:17 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Jophiel wrote:
The Republican dominated Kansas state legislature has voted to overturn Governor Brownback's tax cuts, citing large shortfalls in the state budget, damage to state services like education, road repairs & pension payments, and a failure to stimulate the economy or create jobs.


To be fair, this is Kansas we're talking about.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3070 Jun 13 2017 at 8:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
One of the more conservative states in the nation? Yeah, that's true.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3071 Jun 14 2017 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,436 posts
Well someone has to reign in those Libertarian-leaning types. Going on about their utopias and tax-free prosperity all the time.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3072 Jun 15 2017 at 8:18 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Well someone has to reign in those Libertarian-leaning types. Going on about their utopias and tax-free prosperity all the time.


Well. More or less. Just watch Ron Paul talk about taxes and public funding sometime and then contrast it to what most Republicans say. It's not surprising at all to have disagreements over where to draw the line on taxes and funding in a heavily conservative state. Just as there are presumably lots of Democrats who disagree on where to draw the line on such things as well.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3074 Jun 16 2017 at 2:06 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,381 posts
Whoa! Hold on one second here! Are you saying not all Democrats are the same?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#3075 Jun 16 2017 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
******
49,900 posts
Sure, in theory. But we all know in reality that liberal liberal liberal.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3076 Jun 16 2017 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Democrats are a monolithic block of liberal communism but Republicans are replete with shades and swirls and untold depth.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (46)