Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Things we'd be talking about if the forum wasn't deadFollow

#5127 May 18 2018 at 5:00 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Which, as I've stated multiple times already
Being wrong multiple times still doesn't eventually make you right nor is it educational; It just bores people. And the more you do it, the faster they get bored of it.


I could say the same for you and your assumption that because you disagree with me that I must be wrong, and you must be right.

Quote:
Then prove I did it wrong and show us an example of a white person being arrested at a Starbucks for being an asshole.


How exactly am I supposed to do that? Online searches are great for finding news stories. As I've pointed out, the news doesn't tend to write stories about every person who is arrested unless there's something "special" about it. Arrested while white doesn't fit that bill. Police blotters could be useful, but don't tend to be very detailed online either. Again, unless someone in the media chooses to follow up on a story, it's not going to appear unless it fits a narrative. White person arrested, doesn't fit a narrative.

Tell you what. Let's test this. Try doing a google search looking for any examples of white people being arrested... for anything. Heck. Type "white people arrested" (or any of a number of variations) into the search engine. What do you get? Lists of stories about how white people aren't arrested as much as black people, or white people being arrested for some kind of race crime. You''ll be hard pressed to find any example of a hit that actually talks about a white person just being arrested for normal crimes like trespassing, loitering, disorderly conduct, etc.

Why would you expect to find such things? However, the actual crime and arrest stats show that white people are, in fact, arrested hundreds of thousands of times every single year for such crimes. That disconnect should be your first clue that what you're seeing in the search engine is not remotely accurate to what's actually happening in the real world.

Quote:
It's your claim, so it's your burden of proof, not mine.


I've provided proof that white people do get arrested for the same crime as the two black men were arrested for. We can pretend that it must just have never happened like ever at a Starbucks because we can't find an example via internet search engine of this, or we can conclude that the search engine isn't providing us the right information. The fact that the same search for such crimes at any business also returns negative results suggests that it's the search engine not having the information.

Where do you suppose all these arrests are occurring?

Quote:
gbaji wrote:
The point is that those 5.8 million white people were arrested for something.
gbaji wrote:
I'm reasonably certain that if couple white guys had done the exact same actions, they'd have been led out in handcuffs as well.
Them goalposts sure are a'movin'.


No, they aren't. I'm making the quite reasonable assumption that a white person is just as likely to commit trespassing or disorderly conduct or whatever at a Starbucks as at a Walmart, or a Trader Joes, or whatever other random business might call the cops on such a thing, resulting in them getting arrested. The only difference is that when a white person is arrested for doing something like that, it doesn't make the news and is never reported as them being "arrested for being white".

Your perception of the events is different. It's monumentally unlikely that no white people have ever been arrested for anything at a Starbucks *at all*, yet you can't find any examples on google, can you? Again, that points to massive gaps in our search capability, not in the facts of the world around us.

Quote:
Unless you can prove otherwise the crime statistic of white people being arrested for being assholes at Starbucks is 0.


If we mean "trespassing" or "disorderly conduct" by that, then where were they all arrested? I can't find examples of this happening anywhere via search engine. Can you? Yet, the actual crime stats show a quite large number of such arrests for those crimes, of white people, every single year. By your argument, there are zero arrests for those crimes because you can't find them in your search engine. That's clearly wrong.


You're following a silly narrative in the face of strong evidence to the contrary. White people do get arrested for the same crime that these two black men were arrested for. Where's the outrage? Where's the media reporting? Is there even a mention of it anywhere? And in the absence of *any* such mention, we have to assume that the absence in the specific case involving arrests at Starbucks, doesn't actually mean anything either.


What's funny is that I was just talking last night with a friend of mine who worked at a Starbucks for several years. I asked her if it was normal for people to just hang out at a Starbucks without paying for anything. She honestly couldn't remember a single case where someone did that. She did comment on one guy who would regularly come in and buy a single cup of coffee and hang out for hours, and expressed annoyance that he would take advantage of the 50 cent refill rule by leaving and then later coming back and asking for a refill. But her general take was that everyone who came in bought something in return for hanging out.

Which flies in the face of so many internet claims that "people hang out for hours without buying anything all the time". Um.... No. They don't. I mean, I suppose if the folks working there just happen to not notice you, you might get away with it (although asking to use the bathroom might just tip them off), but it's certainly not normal. And it's not something most people would think was ok.

There's just a ton of stuff about the whole story that smacks of after-the-fact retelling to make things fit the narrative.

Edited, May 18th 2018 4:03pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#5128 May 18 2018 at 7:03 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,626 posts
And, in other news, a mass-murdering white male is arrested, unharmed, while armed. Again.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#5129 May 18 2018 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
Deadpool 2. Worth it!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#5130 May 19 2018 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
Thanks for tuning in, and we are so close to reaching our goal! Just a couple dozen more children's bodies. Please remember we have operators standing by to offer thoughts and prayers!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#5131 May 19 2018 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,292 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Deadpool 2. Worth it!


I think I liked it more than the first.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#5132 May 19 2018 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,454 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Deadpool 2. Worth it!


I think I liked it more than the first.

It was close, but I liked the 1st more. Either way, what matters is that it wasn't a typical sequel that disappoints.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#5133 May 19 2018 at 9:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,339 posts
Debalic wrote:
And, in other news, a mass-murdering white male is arrested, unharmed, while armed. Again.


And in that same vein, one of the people he shot was a girl who had repeatedly told him "no".
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#5134 May 21 2018 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
gbaji wrote:
I could say the same for you and your assumption that because you disagree with me that I must be wrong, and you must be right.
You're not wrong because I disagree with you. You're wrong because you're wrong. Take some responsibility for yourself instead of just blaming people.

Let's see, the rest of the posts is "A white person might maybe possibly could have been arrested somewhere at someplace at sometime in history so it's the exact same thing as arresting black people for waiting on friends and asking to use the bathroom!" Which, you know, repeating something wrong still doesn't make it right so let's just skip it.
gbaji wrote:
What's funny is that I was just talking last night with a friend of mine who worked at a Starbucks for several years.
Is the punchline that you believe that an unverifiable personal anecdote would somehow validate your claims?
gbaji wrote:
Which flies in the face of so many internet claims that "people hang out for hours without buying anything all the time".
There's a resounding yes.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5135 May 21 2018 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
My personal favorite (sadly nuked in some Varrus-banning spree) was Gbaji posting in a thread about a court case and telling us how he just happened to be talking to three judges the night before and...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5136 May 23 2018 at 6:23 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,178 posts
When a white woman calls the cops on black people for cooking at a BBQ, I don't see how it is difficult to believe the assumption in the Starbucks story. People (white and black) do cookouts all of the time. Apparently she hasn't called the police before, but she did this time.
#5137 May 23 2018 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
Being backed by the White House certainly helps.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5138 May 23 2018 at 8:19 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
Well now the name makes sense!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#5139 May 23 2018 at 11:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
Obama should have painted it half black. Real missed opportunity there.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#5140 May 23 2018 at 5:08 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,626 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Obama should have painted it half black. Real missed opportunity there.

Or at least several shades of gray.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#5141 May 23 2018 at 7:42 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,384 posts
Almalieque wrote:
When a white woman calls the cops on black people for cooking at a BBQ, I don't see how it is difficult to believe the assumption in the Starbucks story. People (white and black) do cookouts all of the time. Apparently she hasn't called the police before, but she did this time.


Which would lead a reasonable rational thinking person to conclude that she didn't call the cops merely because someone was "cooking at a BBQ", regardless of skin color. Yet such basic logic seems to fail some people when there's a loud enough media narrative going on.

The whole "let's focus on the least significant thing someone was doing when something bad happened to them and pretend that's why the bad thing happened" bit is getting old, fast. OMG! Michael Brown was shot for jaywalking! Treyvon Martin was shot for buying Skittles and an ice tea! Really? Let's ignore all of the other stuff that went on and focus on that instead? Sorry, but I find the whole thing ridiculous. I don't have an issue with people pointing out disparate outcomes and discussing the why's of those outcomes. I do have an issue when people don't even make the most basic effort to look into the "why" in any sort of rational manner. I have even more of an issue when people seem to revel in finding the most absurd "why" they can and insisting that's what we should all talk about. It's pointless and can never actually solve anything because we're not looking in the right direction.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#5142 May 23 2018 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,626 posts
See, the thing is, thinking like a rational reasonable person is not what's going on here. It's thinking like a fragile white person who doesn't want blacks around. Calling the police for bogus charges to get them in trouble is not exactly unheard of. And of course, most time in order to placate the white citizen, the blacks are told to move along.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#5143 May 23 2018 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
Debalic wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Obama should have painted it half black. Real missed opportunity there.

Or at least several shades of gray.

Like, 50 of them?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#5144 May 23 2018 at 8:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,761 posts
gbaji wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
When a white woman calls the cops on black people for cooking at a BBQ, I don't see how it is difficult to believe the assumption in the Starbucks story. People (white and black) do cookouts all of the time. Apparently she hasn't called the police before, but she did this time.


Which would lead a reasonable rational thinking person to conclude that she didn't call the cops merely because someone was "cooking at a BBQ", regardless of skin color. Yet such basic logic seems to fail some people when there's a loud enough media narrative going on.


Unless, of course, that reasonable rational thinking person has darker than white skin, and has been forced to lead a life where it is their responsibility to deal with white people that did something because of their skin color.

As a card carrying Native American, I have dealt with this type of thing plenty of times before. You don't have the same experiences that I do, but you want me to live my life based on your experiences, but that doesn't translate. Sorry, you're wrong.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#5145 May 24 2018 at 7:22 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
gbaji wrote:
Which would lead a reasonable rational thinking person to conclude that she didn't call the cops merely because someone was "cooking at a BBQ", regardless of skin color.
After all, once a white person shot his daughter in the head while she slept then incinerated the body two days later so that's totally absolutely the exact same thing as a having cops called on you for a cookout.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5146 May 25 2018 at 5:37 AM Rating: Good
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,178 posts
Gbaji wrote:
Which would lead a reasonable rational thinking person to conclude that she didn't call the cops merely because someone was "cooking at a BBQ", regardless of skin color.
You're intentionally trying to befog the situation with race to discuss tangents because you know you're wrong.

The major point is that the lady at the BBQ improperly called the police. This is evident, (regardless of skin colors). So, why is it hard to accept that the barista might have improperly called the cops as well? Why do you insist that the customers must have done something wrong when the people at the BBQ didn't do anything wrong either?



#5147 May 25 2018 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
Almalieque wrote:
So, why is it hard to accept that the barista might have improperly called the cops as well?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5148 May 25 2018 at 6:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Exit polls suggest that Ireland overwhelmingly voted to repeal its "personhood" amendment for fetuses which was essentially a constitutional ban on abortion.

Edited, May 25th 2018 7:38pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5149 May 29 2018 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,674 posts
I was looking for articles about it, and there's one on CNN.com showing a woman that is way too happy looking for abortions.

I tried to play golf yesterday, my short game is more like a short bus. I think I'll stick to driving ranges afterall.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5150 May 29 2018 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,292 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
my short game is more like a short bus.


There is a solution to this problem.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#5151 May 29 2018 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
TirithRR wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
my short game is more like a short bus.


There is a solution to this problem.
More like one of these.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 71 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (71)