Forum Settings
Reply To Thread

Taxes, Dependents, Tuitions.Follow

#1 Jan 25 2012 at 10:10 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
17,134 posts
My brother is currently unemployed, and lives with me. I claim him as a dependent. I pay for his tuition (community college, so it's not that much). I know that parents can deduct their child's tuition fees if they claim them as a dependent, my parents did when I was in college. I just don't know if I can do it since he's not my child.
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#2 Jan 26 2012 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
10,795 posts
You'd have to see if he's a "qualifying relative."

Check with a tax professional. You don't want to run afoul of IRS rules and get yourself audited because you claimed something you're not suppose to claim.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help


Recent Visitors: 0 All times are in CDT