This is a named mob in the Plane of War. For an overview of all nameds in the Plane of War, their PHs, map points, and mapped locations, see this quest entry.
The Grandmaster (click for map image) spawns in the locked area in the far southern part of the zone.
For information about access The Grandmaster's Tower, see this quest entry.
-"a frazzled opponent" has four black pawns; The Grandmaster has five white pawns.
-There is no aggro-linking of any sort. The pawns are not aggro-linked to the players (frazzled or grandmaster), nor are the players aggro-linked to the pawns. Normal direct-aggro and assist-aggro rules apply in all cases.
-Pawns do not need to be killed within a short time frame of one another. Upon freshly spawning the event (server reset / event completion and re-spawn) the pawns and the frazzled opponent will instantly re-spawn when killed, but only once. This means that with a fresh event you will have to kill all nine pawns and the frazzled opponent twice, each. After which they do re-spawn quickly (~5 mins), but with no relation to one another.
-The pawns can be easily split from their players with no special splitting tactics. Awareness of the difference between direct-aggro and assist-aggro is sufficent to pull 2-3 mobs at a time. What this means is that the board can easily be cleared 2-3 mobs at a time, leaving only The Grandmaster and one of his white pawns up at the time you trigger the event. That final pawn may well be able to be split from The Grandmaster using more advanced splitting tactics. However, I did not attempt this on any of my four successful runs; for fear of resetting the event and having the clear the board all over.
-While the Grandmaster is aggro, you'll be hit with two possible spell effects (appear in song window): "Black Piece" or "White Piece". Whichever one of these you get, you need to avoid the opposite-colored pieces that spawn on the chessboard.
Kill the Grandmaster to complete the event.
1. The Grandmaster needs be killed within 13 mins of starting the event. Otherwise he begins to regenerate at an impossible rate.
2. Mercs are immune to the Black Piece and White Piece effects and will not be death-touched by the event pieces.
3. The event pieces do not aggro and move in set patterns based on their name (pawn, bishop, etc).
4. The order in which event pieces spawn (and thus the pattern in which they move) appears to be fixed and predictable. I do not have the order recorded, yet.
5. The Grandmaster has aprox. 97 Million hit-points. (The Grandmaster in 750s, 96588k @128784sdps)
6. The Grandmaster uses the following effects (as parsed by GamParse 220.127.116.11): “Debuff Funeral Dirge”, “Debuff Melee Slow”, “Debuff Tash”.
7. A frazzled opponent has aprox. 2.5 million hit-points.
8. A frazzled opponent uses the following effects (as parsed by GamParse 18.104.22.168): ‘Circle of Lightning”, “Concussive Respite”, “Debuff Melee Slow”, “Mental Breakdown”, “Blazebeam”, and “Telazekaria”
9. The pawns appear to have between 2.2 and 2.5 milltion hit-points. And also use the effect “Debuff Melee Slow”
10. The Novice (Gandmaster PH) has aprox. 3 million HP and uses the following effects: “Bladewheel”, “Boisterousness”, “Debuff Melee Slow”, and “Quick Defense”. There may be more effects used, however I’ve only seen one PH spawn. The Grandmaster appears to be more common than the PH.
11. The Grandmaster hits for a max of 21,409 with an average hit of aprox. 7k. He does not flurry, rampage, or wild-rampage. All told his melee damage seems fairly minor and he does not use any damaging spells. The challenge of the event appears to be in the massive amount of HP he has and the ever increasing complexity of the event pieces movement patterns and numbers, which need be avoided. Tanking summary --- Total Melee --- Damage: 6555132 --- Avg hit: 7133 --- Attempts: 1396 --- Over 750 seconds